|Refuse & Recycling|
Director: Marc Burris
The City of Oakley operates its own refuse service for residents of Oakley. Collections for residents are once per week and businesses receive pickup daily, Monday through Friday.
The City operates its own landfill south of Oakley at 3510 Day Dream. If you are a resident of Oakley and pay City utilities, you may take loads to the landfill at no extra charge. All users must call (785) 953-0054 for access as the gate is kept locked at all times.
Landfill hours are:
Monday-Friday, 8:15-11:45 a.m. and 1:15-4:00 p.m.
* The landfill is open 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. on the 1st & 3rd Saturdays of each month from April-September and 10:00-12:00 October-March.
We encourage residents to participate in our recycling program. Bins are located inside the round-top building at 4th Street & Price. A list of accepted items can be found on the recycling bins, at the City Office, or ONLINE. The City also collects cardboard from the businesses one day each week. Recyclables are then transported to the Northwest Kansas Regional Recycling Organization located in Colby. Recycling efforts done by our area residents help to extend the life of our landfill.
The City has joined a regional effort to properly dispose of Household Hazardous Waste. These materials are commonly found around the house. The City now accepts these materials during regular business hours and stores them for proper disposal. See which items will and will not be accepted as part of this program:
* Additives (oil, fuel, & transmission) * Carburetor & Fuel Cleaners
* Brake & Starting Fluids * Waste Fuels
* Auto Batteries * Solvent contaminated Waste Oils
* Ammonia based cleaners * Metal polish
* Bleach * Nail polish & remover
* Disinfectants * Oven cleaners
* Drain cleaners * Pool chemicals
* Floor & furniture polish * Photo chemicals
* General all purpose cleaners * Rug & upholstery cleaners
* Mothballs * Toilet cleaners
HOME MAINTENANCE & IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS
* Adhesives * Paint stripper
* Enamel or Oil based paints * Thinners & turpentine’s
* Latex or Water based paints * Stains, finishes or preservatives
* Ant & Roach killers * Chlorinated hydrocarbons
* Arsenicals * Herbicides
* Botanicals * Organo-phosphates
* Carbonates * Rat & mouse poisons
MISCELLANEOUS HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
* Batteries: wet & dry cells * Fingernail Polish Removers
* Pet Products * Pool Chemicals
* Photo Processing Chemicals * Electronic Items: solder, switches, lights
ANY OF THESE PRODUCTS
* Explosives * Unknown materials
* Ammunitions * Infectious Wastes
* Ordinance * Asbestos
* Dioxins * Radioactive Wastes
* Compressed Gas Cylinders * Commercial Hazardous Wastes
* Silvex ? * Kepone ?
* 2, 3, 5,-Y ? * 2, 4, 5-TP?
* Trichlorophenols? * Tetrachlorophenols?
* Pentachlorphneols? * Chlorophenoxy derived acids?