As members you provide the drive, ideas, funds, goals, and voluntary services to keep the Chamber doing what it does, networking and providing community information. You are the Chamber of Commerce, without you, there wouldn’t be any Chamber.
The advantages of joining the Chamber are tangible and intangible, personal and professional. Below are some of the most important reasons for membership.
After Five Social
- Provides an opportunity for host businesses to show off their facilities and products from 5-7 pm, as well as an informational time of socializing and “catching up” with your fellow Chamber members. Food and beverages are provided by the host business. Hosting this event allows your business to be spotlighted and reinforces your commitment to the Chamber and community. Attending any of these events offers you the opportunity to network with other members from the business community.
- The Ambassadors act as the social part of the Chamber at various events. These individuals host the Ribbon Cuttings and After 5 Socials. Chamber members are the only ones eligible to serve as an Ambassador. Ambassadors are elected and voted on by the members of the Ambassadors. If you are interested in serving as an Ambassador, contact the Chamber Office.
- The Chamber’s annual banquet and meeting consists of a social hour, dinner, and entertainment. This event brings together Chamber members and their guests for an evening.
Board of Directors
- Every year businesses and individuals holding full a membership vote on members of the Chamber Board of Directors. This group of individuals works to guide the Chamber toward growth and acts as a governing body. Any individual who has a full membership or works for a business holding a full membership is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors.
Business Card and Literature Display
- The Chamber of Commerce offers a business card and literature display in the reception area of the Chamber Office so each business can provide information to visitors. People visit the office each month providing excellent exposure for your businesses.
Chamber Cash Certificates
- The Oakley Area Chamber Cash Gift Certificate Program is designed to encourage people to purchase locally. People can pick up Chamber Cash at the Chamber Office in any denomination requested. The Chamber Cash can only be spent at Chamber Businesses, which are located on the back of the Chamber Cash Certificate.
Chamber Email System
- This is used to keep members up to date about various Chamber activities and projects.
- The Pullman Chamber of Commerce website displays your business name, address, phone number, and website in our online Chamber Directory. Members are listed alphabetically as well as by business category. Visitors to the Chamber website can link directly to your site by simply clicking on the link. Our website receives thousands of hits a year, increasing the visibility of our member businesses.
Committees and Task Forces
- The Chamber forms committees and task forces every year based upon the ever changing needs of the membership. Members have the opportunity to get involved with the direction of the Chamber. If you would like to be a volunteer for such groups please contact the Chamber office.
- The Chamber Office provides a central location for questions and community information. Maps, brochures, phone books, etc. are available at the Chamber office. Potential newcomers may inquire about real estate, churches, civic clubs, and other organizations. We offer listings of accommodations, interesting places to visit, and recreational opportunities. The Chamber Office supplies these listing at no charge.
Community Bulletin Board
- The Chamber maintains a community board on Center Avenue to notify residents and visitors of upcoming events.
- The Board of Directors hires a director to carry out the duties of the Chamber and offer public relation services. They work to promote the Chamber Members and the Oakley Area as a good place to work, live, and do business.
- The Chamber’s budget is driven by membership and sponsorship dollars. To supplement this funding, the Chamber has annual fundraising events which centers on fun and providing entertainment to attendees. By participating in different events you are building a network or web of contacts. This can benefit you in numerous ways; you can build your clientele, become involved in professional organizations, increase your knowledge of the local business community, build partnerships, become a source of referrals for others, and create revenue for your business.
Grand Openings and Ribbon Cuttings
- These events are sponsored by the Oakley Ambassador Club. Provided mainly for new members as a welcome to the community but also available for existing business members who may be expanding or dedicating new facilities. This is your opportunity to showcase your business to the community and put your business name in front of them.
- The Chamber of Commerce is a great resource on issues that impact your business. It is our goal to make sure you are aware of such information so you can make the best decision possible.
- All Chamber Members have the access to use the Chamber Board meeting room. The room comfortably holds nine people. Requests to use the Board room must be submitted to the Chamber Office two weeks in advance and will be subject to availability.
- The decal is an important way to tell your customers you support their community’s Chamber of Commerce. The decal is a sticker that most businesses put in their window. It is used as a marketing tool to show customers your dedication and support.
- This website based guide is updated as needed and lists all Chamber Members by business category and includes their community profile information.
- One of the greatest benefits for membership is businesses’ opportunity to network with other members. The Chamber of Commerce provides many opportunities for the business community to connect with each other.
- Members are invited to submit information about their business that can be included in the Chamber Newz Flash. This newsletter is available to all Chamber members and provides an opportunity to showcase new product lines, business changes, and your upcoming events. Please provide information 30 days in advance of the month you wish to have your information appear.
- Promotion opportunities are available
online and in the monthly Chamber Newz Flash. From year to year, there
might be additional opportunities for your business to be promoted in
- The Chamber of Commerce proudly serves as a front door to the community. Many requests are made each year for referrals to businesses. We are happy to refer people to your businesses. Chamber Members are always referred first unless there are no Chamber members in the category being requested.
Seminars and Workshops
- From time to time, the Chamber sponsors or co-sponsors meetings to help equip you in your business dealings. The Small Business Development Center from Fort Hays University can provide workshops, seminars, and other educational programs specified toward the interests of the membership. If you are interested in a particular subject, contact the Chamber Office.
- The Chamber is actively involved with working with the Tourism Board by promoting the attractions we have in the Oakley Area. The Chamber is responsible for displaying the flags, Christmas lights, and having a downtown sound system. By appealing to the tourists, it creates additional revenue being spent in the Oakley Area.