The goal of the Chamber is to make Oakley a better, more attractive place to do business. The Chamber also supports activities and events that benefit our members and community. As members, you provide the drive, ideas, funds, goals, and voluntary services that keep the Chamber functioning. You are the Chamber of Commerce; without you, the Chamber would not operate.
After Five Social
- Provides an opportunity for host businesses to show off their facilities and products from 5-7 pm, as well as an informational time of socializing and “catching up” with your fellow Chamber members. Food and beverages are provided by the host business. Hosting this event allows your business to be spotlighted and reinforces your commitment to the Chamber and community. Attending any of these events offers you the opportunity to network with other members from the business community.
- The Ambassadors act as the social part of the Chamber at various events. These individuals host the Ribbon Cuttings and After 5 Socials. Chamber members are the only ones eligible to serve as an Ambassador. Ambassadors are elected and voted on by the members of the Ambassadors. If you are interested in serving as an Ambassador, contact the Chamber Office.
- The Chamber’s annual banquet and meeting consists of a social hour, dinner, and entertainment. This event brings together Chamber members and their guests for an evening.
Board of Directors
- Every year businesses and individuals holding full membership vote on members of the Chamber Board of Directors. This group of individuals works to guide the Chamber toward growth and acts as a governing body. Any individual who has a full membership or works for a business holding a full membership is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors.
Business Card and Literature Display
- The Chamber of Commerce offers a business card and literature display in the reception area of the Chamber Office so each business can provide information to visitors. People visit the office each month providing excellent exposure for your businesses.
- The Oakley Area Chamber of Commerce Chamber Bucks is designed to encourage people to purchase locally. People can pick up Chamber Bucks at the Chamber Office in any denomination requested. The Chamber Bucks are an actual check, so each chamber business can deposit them accordingly. The Chamber Bucks can only be spent at Chamber Businesses, which are located on the Chamber Bucks itself.
Chamber Email System
- This is used to keep members up to date about various Chamber activities and projects.
- The chamber website is www.discoveroakley.com and displays your business name, address, phone number, and website under the Chamber tab then business directory. Members are listed alphabetically as well as by business category. Visitors to the website can link directly to your site, if available, by simply clicking on the link. Our website receives thousands of hits a year, increasing the visibility of our member businesses. The chamber shares the website with The City of Oakley, Tourism and Logan County Courthouse.
Committees and Task Forces
- The Chamber forms committees and task forces every year based upon the ever changing needs of the membership. Members have the opportunity to get involved with the direction of the Chamber. If you would like to be a volunteer for such groups please contact the Chamber office.
- The Chamber Office provides a central location for questions and community information. Maps, brochures, phone books, etc. are available at the Chamber office. Potential newcomers may inquire about real estate, churches, civic clubs, and other organizations. We offer listings of accommodations, interesting places to visit, and recreational opportunities. The Chamber Office supplies these listing at no charge.
Community Bulletin Board
- The Chamber maintains a community board on Center Avenue to notify residents and visitors of upcoming events.
- The Board of Directors hires a director to carry out the duties of the Chamber and offer public relation services. They work to promote the Chamber Members and the Oakley Area as a good place to work, live, and do business.
- The Chamber’s budget is driven by membership and sponsorship dollars. To supplement this funding, the Chamber has annual fundraising events which centers on fun and providing entertainment to attendees. By participating in different events you are building a network or web of contacts. This can benefit you in numerous ways; you can build your clientele, become involved in professional organizations, increase your knowledge of the local business community, build partnerships, become a source of referrals for others, and create revenue for your business.
Grand Openings and Ribbon Cuttings
- These events are sponsored by the Oakley Ambassador Club. Provided mainly for new members as a welcome to the community but also available for existing business members who may be expanding or dedicating new facilities. This is your opportunity to showcase your business to the community and put your business name in front of them.
- The Chamber of Commerce is a great resource on issues that impact your business. It is our goal to make sure you are aware of such information so you can make the best decision possible.
- The decal is an important way to tell your customers you support their community’s Chamber of Commerce. The decal is a sticker that most businesses put in their window. It is used as a marketing tool to show customers your dedication and support.
- The www.discoveroakley.com website is updated as needed and lists all Chamber Members by business category and includes their community profile information.
- One of the greatest benefits for membership is businesses’ opportunity to network with other members. The Chamber of Commerce provides many opportunities for the business community to connect with each other.
- Promotion opportunities are available online via the www.discoveroakley.com website. From year to year, there might be additional opportunities for your business to be promoted in other publications.
- The Chamber of Commerce proudly serves as a front door to the community. Many requests are made each year for referrals to businesses. We are happy to refer people to your businesses. Chamber Members are always referred first unless there are no Chamber members in the category being requested.
Seminars and Workshops
- From time to time, the Chamber sponsors or co-sponsors meetings to help equip you in your business dealings. The Kansas Department of Commerce and The Small Business Development Center from Fort Hays University can provide workshops, seminars, and other educational programs specified toward the interests of the membership. If you are interested in a particular subject, contact the Chamber Office.
- The Chamber is actively involved with working with the Tourism Board by promoting the attractions we have in the Oakley Area. The Chamber is responsible for displaying the flags and Christmas lights. By appealing to the tourists, it creates additional revenue being spent in the Oakley Area.